Monday, April 25, 2011

Now it is Autumn

I really would like to be able to post at least once a month but it is very telling that the last time I managed to do this was the January school holidays and here we are again, it is now Autumn and the first school term is behind us and a quarter of the year has been swallowed up.
Life has been very busy.

Mothering two teenagers is challenging and it reminds me of the very early days of motherhood feeling at sea and having no idea if anything I am doing is Ok or completely wrong.
We have been having some lovely times in amongst all the busyness.

We had the great privilege to make greek biscuits at home with Yai Yai and although I am sure we would never be able to make them without her up to her high standard we now have some idea of the process.

They are super delicious.

It being Greek Easter as well we have a house full of other delicious Greek treats as well and lots of chocolate.


Last weekend I picked some of the last of Summers bounty from the Garden. We still have a few tomatoes producing and some capsicums and chilli, basil and zucchini.

We have had a great crop of quinces this year, at least 30. I made some quince paste over Easter. Looking forward to having some of it when it has dried out a little.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A few weekends ago we spend a morning using up 3 dozen eggs from the chookies making pasta for drying, it's hard to keep up with all 4 producing, having looked at some pictures of custom made pasta drying racks I decided the small clothes line would do the same job.

I also had a lovely day with two good friends and 25 kilos of tomatoes making beautiful tomato sauce to a Stephanie Alexander recipe. We had a fun day. The next day being quite inspired on the tomato front I made a small amount of passata. Next year I would really like to made a large quantity.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had 4 day tickets for WOMAdelaide this year. As usual it was a beautiful experience, the atmosphere is wonderful, so many delights for all the senses. There were many highlights. Asa was a delight, such great energy and a fab band. It was great to see Martha Wainwright in the flesh,I love her voice and her sassy personality. It was very special for me to see Luka Bloom again after many years. His music seems to really be in my bones and blood somehow....also great to see the Alan Kelly Quartet, great traditional Irish music. There was a lot of other wonderful music.
WOMAD is one of the great things about living in Adelaide, of which there are very many. Sometimes just walking along the beach at Henley on a beautiful day I get a glimpse of how very, very privileged I am to live in such a beautiful and peaceful place.
I went for an early walk this morning, and at 7am there were dolphins swimming in the shallows and mutton birds flying over the water.....and the coffee was hot and strong at Joes.





I have been playing around with different lens on my camera, it makes the garden look interesting.

I had the water lilies flowering in the pond in the late summer.


Here is Sylvia, she finally stopped escaping from the chook run and has settled in with the others but it took a long time!



More fun with the camera
I seem to have worked backwards from Autumn into Summer!
The weather is glorious now and it is nice to have an Easter at home, we nearly always go away. The garden is looking neglected so I will spend some time this week weeding and planting, as well as having a bike ride and relaxing.

No comments: